Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Services
What PJRFSI can do for you?
The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) was signed into law by President Obama in 2011. It was designed in response to several high profile cases of contamination of imported foods. The purpose of FSMA is to ensure proper preventive and control systems are in place to safeguard the food supply chain in the United States. The overall goal of establishing this regulation is to implement a proactive mentality of food safety, rather than being reactive to food safety incidents.
- Food facilities are required to register with the FDA two years; food from an unregistered facility can no longer be imported into the United States.
- Registered food facilities are required to conduct potential hazard analyses and develop a written preventative control plan. In addition, they must maintain copies of their hazard analyses and preventive control plans to assist the FDA in tracking high-risk foods.
- Importers are required to implement a foreign supplier verification program which verifies that the food they are importing into the U.S. is safe for consumption.
- Food facilities will be inspected more consistently (no less than once every 5 years).
- Food importers and food facilities are subject to added fees, including a re-inspection fee for any material non-compliance identified during an initial inspection.
The FSMA consists of seven rules as mentioned below:
- Preventive Controls for Human Food Rule
- Preventive Controls for Animal Food Rule
- Mitigation Strategies to Protect Food Against Intentional Adulteration Rule (Food Defense Final Rule)
- Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food Rule
- Produce Safety Rule
- Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) Rule
- Accredited Third-Party Certification Rule
Perry Johnson Registrar Food Safety Inc.’s (PJRFSI) experts will be able to provide assistance to you in the areas of: training, readiness audits and inspection of foreign food facilities.
How can PJRFSI be of assistance to you in implementing FSMA?
- Readiness Audits
- Inspection of Foreign Food Facilities
For more information on FSMA or to receive a free quote, contact us at: +44 (0) 1782 366525 for a Project Manager in your area!